Cosmetic Dentistry | General Dentistry Weston MA
Dentistry is a broad branch of medicine that focuses on the detection, prevention, and treatment of conditions, diseases, and malformations in the oral cavity. This includes the teeth, gums, and jaw. In addition, there are several branches within dentistry, such as cosmetic and general. Both branches assist patients with maintaining a healthy and beautiful smile. However, there are differences. Learn more about each branch below.
Some people are subconscious of their smile. Speaking or smiling in public is sometimes avoided due to discolored, chipped, or missing teeth. People affected with the mentioned conditions may wish for a more beautiful and attracted smile. Fortunately, cosmetic dentistry allows patients to obtain their ideal smile safely and effectively.
In short, cosmetic dentistry is any dental work that focuses on improving the aesthetic appearance of the teeth, gums, and the oral cavity. This includes the size, color, alignment, and position of the teeth, aiming to retain the natural appearance of the teeth and gum tissue.
Some of the methods in cosmetic dentistry include the following:
- Teeth whitening
- Dental veneers
- Composite bonding and teeth shaping
- Dental Crowns
- Orthodontic treatment
- Inlays and Onlays
Overall, cosmetic dentistry is the total “smile makeover” helping you improve your oral aesthetic look while maintaining proper oral hygiene and health.
General dentistry involves primary dental care, which focuses on the detection, prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of dental-related ailments and conditions. Unlike cosmetic dentistry, which mainly concentrates on the aesthetic look of the oral cavity, general dentistry is broader. In brief, this includes the management of dental-related diseases, deformities, and conditions.
- Preventive services- general dentistry focuses on the promotion of proper oral hygiene and practices that aides in the prevention of dental ailments and or deformities. The method involves routine dental checks, examinations, and assessments that may include radiological exams and professional teeth cleaning. The preventive measures also include the patient’s education on the necessary steps to undertake to ensure the correct oral health.
- Cosmetic procedures- general dentistry covers procedures that help in retaining the aesthetic look of the oral cavity, inclusive of the teeth and gums. Such procedures include teeth cleaning and cosmetic bonding.
- Restorative functions- the practice of general dentistry is inclusive of oral therapeutic procedures, like the replacement of missing teeth, dental filling, fixing a broken or crooked tooth and diagnosis and treatment of dental-related pain.
- General health concerns- general dentistry also helps in the detection of other general body health concerns of which oral health is reflective of and guiding the necessary required management measures.
Comparatively, General Dentistry is broader, covering a wider scope of management and treatment options compared to Cosmetic Dentistry. Learn how to best improve your smile by scheduling a consultation today. Weston Dental Specialists Group offers a wide variety of dental solutions, including cosmetic dentistry. Call (781) 894-0347 or schedule an appointment online. Our office is located at 56 Colpitts Road Suite 4-6 Weston, MA 02493. We look forward to meeting you.